[patch] wireless network support

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 26 11:29:45 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 15:10 +0200, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> I am not sure if this address is subscribed to the list so I apologize
> if it gets moderated.
>
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:15, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > My only other comment is that the properties should be called
> > net.ethernet.wireless instead of just net.wireless, since other
> > wireless networking technologies may or may not exist.
>
> I would suggest net.80211 instead. It is clearly more precise: saying
> that 802.11 is based on ethernet is, at best, a misconception.
> Furthermore, other similar wireless standards are being developped. It
> will make the naming convention for these newer standards more
> reasonable if they can be made .net.standard.

I'm not sure myself, but looking at Joe's lshal output you will have to
use both net.ethernet.mac_address and stuff from net.wireless.* to get
the full story, since net.wireless.* alone doesn't tell you the MAC
address of your wireless device.

At least the Linux kernel seem to treat 802.11 as an extension to
Ethernet, so I think it makes sense if we do the same. I'm perfectly
fine with calling it net.ethernet.80211 or something, I just think it's
important that the properties appear in a namespace underneath
net.ethernet. And, oh, the device should have three capabilities namely
net, net.ethernet, and net.ethernet.80211.

Cheers,
David