[patch] wireless patch, take 2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 26 14:02:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:24 +0200, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> Why should you be able to set the ESSID through HAL?  I thought the
> primary purpose of HAL was discovery, device specific control happens
> through direct access to the device file or similar out-of-band mechanism.

That is indeed the primary purpose - adding this would be a simple
convenience for desktop session clients as Joe and Pat points out. I
imagine that it might be convenient, at some point, to add an interface
such that (trusted) desktop clients can disable power to certain devices
based on the users preferences / policy etc.

Cheers,
David