[patch] wireless patch, take 2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 27 10:32:05 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 13:29 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 18:42 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Some rambling: we probably want to complicate the implementation a bit
> > more like this
> >
> >  /etc/hal/methods.d/Net/Ethernet/80211/SetEssId
> >
> > where SetEssId probably is a symlink and the client invokes the method
> > SetEssId on the interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Net.Ethernet.80211.
>
> A symlink to what?  /etc/hal/property.d/essid-change.sh or something?

Njah just to somewhere in /usr/libexec or what's it called nowadays. One
shouldn't really place binaries or scripts in /etc, right? The stuff in
methods.d will have a slightly different format than in properties.d so
you can probably reuse the same stuff there..

> My only concern about the separate methods is that HAL should probably
> still call out even if the ESSID changes out from underneath HAL.

Yeah, that will happen. The maintenance of distro-specific files should
be in the the property.d such that if the ess is changed from e.g. a
shell, the right things happen.

> > One way it still feels a bit to me like feature-creep, but OTOH it's a
> > very nice way of providing infrastructure for using devices. We'd have
> > to be careful though not to abuse this though, e.g. it would be tempting
> > to provide a GetPhotos method on the org.freedesktop.org.Device.Camera
> > interface that returns the picture as a base64 encoded string :-). Oh
> > well.
>
> Yeah, it feels kind of gross to me because now we're adding all this
> additional API that people have to learn, when we already have a nice
> property system with just get and set, and we can define all the
> properties pretty cleanly in the spec.  The dbus security features are
> tempting, but is it worth it?

It might be, not sure really. It's not easy to predict anything, but
there might be situations in the future where this is needed. One could
also think of it as a facility for using devices where the actual usage
is OS-dependent but the interface is not. And as discussed a few weeks
back we probably want only the user.* property namespace writable (and
per-user) for non-root users, so writing to .ess_id would be a no no.

Hmm,
David