[patch] wireless patch, take 2

sjoerd at luon.net sjoerd at luon.net
Thu May 27 12:07:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 12:32:03AM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 18:30 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 23:27 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > Here is an idea; maybe HAL shouldn't provide that API I was talking
> > > about and we should do it like Joe suggest by just changing
> > > net.ethernet.80211.ess_id but HAL should do nothing.
> > >
> > > Instead a callout in property.d just does all the heavy lifting like
> > > changing the ESS ID, reconfiguring the interface and stuff? Joe, maybe
> > > this was what you meant in the first place?
> >
> > Actually, no, I was going to do these things in the HAL code itself, but
> > this sounds like a cleaner solution given that network scripts are
> > different for every distro.

> We'd still have to specify all methods in the spec and provide
> convenience functions in libhal but at least this gives an expandable
> framework for such tasks as setting the ESSID - I imagine we run into a
> few others like this in the future.
>
> How does that sound?

I think i'm missing the big picture a little. Suppose someone writes a gnome
app so select a wireless network.  One probably needs to set the mode of the
network (ad-hoc or managed), the wep key (if applicable) and the interface
configuration way (dhcp or manual). Could that all be done through hal or
only the essid via hal and the others in distro specific way ?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me :)

  Sjoerd
--
Solutions are obvious if one only has the optical power to observe them
over the horizon.