[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Thu May 27 13:55:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 22:26 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Ok, let's try to work out the usecase of wireless networks then. Maybe
> we should have a property called
>
>  net.ethernet.80211.selected_network
>
> representing which one of .network0, .network1, ... we are connected to.
> This one we could just write to. I mean, should you be allowed to select
> a network that isn't in the list?

Yeah, you should if you're going to be in ad-hoc mode.  And what's the
advantage to using "selected_network" over "essid"?

> To set the WEP key I suppose we would just write to the property
> net.ethernet.80211.key. Should we allow the user to read this property
> to sniff the key? How do we represent whether the key works or not? A
> simple boolean property?

Err, well, part of the problem here is that there isn't really any
feedback.  You can set the ESSID and the encryption key, but the only
way you'll know if the network actually works is if you get a new IP
address and try things out.

So there is some disconnect between whether the ioctl() which sets the
ESSID fails and whether the network actually works after you
successfully set it.

Joe