Configuration questions (fstab and pamconsole)

Tor Krill hal at krill.nu
Sun Nov 7 06:13:34 PST 2004

Hi all,

I could not find any other forum to ask this question.

I'm trying to get HAL and Gnome-Volume-Manager working on my system. The
distribution im running is arch, http://archlinux.org

However, i'm having trouble to get removable storage working. I think
this is because Arch linux uses unmodified packages.

My problem is this.

UDEV and HAL seems to be working just fine. When i add a new device UDEV
picks it up and creates the device files. HAL gets notified and updated.

fstab-sync kicks in and modifies my fstab and creates directories.
(Beautiful, i really think this has all the potential and definetly is
on the right track to make the free desktop more accessible :-) )

But, the fstab line includes an option about pamconsole. Neither PAM or
util-linux for arch supports this. There seems to be no support for this
in the "clean" packages either. The only traces i have seen for
pamconsole is in patches applied to these packages by for instance
Redhat.

My question then is. Can i somehow modify the configuration to make this
work on my system?

I have seen the storage-policy.fdi in the 90defaultpolicy directory and
the pamconsole option. But reading the documentation i get the
impression that i shold not alter this file, but rather add my own in
the 95userpolicy directory?

So, what should i add in a storage-policy.fdi file put into the
95userpolicy directory? And also do any of you know if the pamconsole
patches will be merged upstreams?

Regards,

/Tor