[Patch] Extended PCMCIA Support

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Oct 24 17:23:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Hi Dan,
> what is the reason to include the CIS parsing into HAL? Wouldn't it be
> easier to ask cardctl to give us these values? We may also plug into
> the /etc/pcmcia/ directory (like the hal helpers living in
> /etc/hotplug.d/ and /etc/dev.d/)and send events from there to the hal
> daemon?
>
> Would that work? What do you think?

How would we ask cardctl to do the work?  I abhor screenscraping, plus you
get next to zero error reporting beyond exit(n).  I would actively argue
against opening a pipe to cardctl and reading its input.  I think my
current approach is quite compartmentalized and doesn't really affect HAL
all that much.

I don't think plugging into /etc/pcmcia would help out out much either,
since we already get hotplug events for net devices through the hotplug
scripts.  Its just a case of matching up the device name (though the
parsing part is a bit ugly, yes.  HAL does a lot of parsing already, like
the PCI device/vendor name stuff.  I don't think PCMCIA is all that
different in this respect).

David and I are actively working to get the PCMCIA+sysfs patch into the
kernel ASAP, this is simply stop-gap measure until that occurs.  When that
happens, this patch will come out and we'll just use sysfs as normal for
PCMCIA devices.

Dan