Cleaner seperation between user fdi's and system fdi's ?

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Oct 28 13:55:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:26:23PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:58 +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:36:50PM +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > >   I quickly looked at the code and it seems trivial to first scan
> > >   /usr/share/hal/fdi and then /etc/hal/fdi..
> >
> > Patch attached to do this.. Comments ?
>
> What is the advantage of having it in both /etc and /usr/share?

The advantage is that you have the user configurable part in /etc, which is the
normal case for unix systems..

Why not have it in both? The change to the code is trivial.

> [..snip...]
> What about just using symlinks
>
>  /usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy -> /etc/hal/system-policy
>  /usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy    -> /etc/hal/user-policy
>
> in your Debian package? Note that you probably don't want users to edit
> files in /usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy as you, as a vendor, want to
> update these file for critical and/or security updates [1].

That's also fine. What then happens is exactly the same (as 95userpolicy is
scanned last), but the not needing symlinks is cleaner imho.

> OTOH, I don't expect that piece of code to change a lot so if you patch
> the Debian package there's probably not a lot of maintenance
> overhead :-).

Nope, but i'm trying to keep the patches to a minimum :)

> Cheers,
> David
>
> [1] : that's what we do in Fedora and just a few days ago I've changed
> the policy to not add entries to /etc/fstab for non-hotpluggable fixed
> drives as our ataraid code isn't up to snuff cf. the Debian bug you
> forwarded last week.

fstab-sync isn't enabled by default on debian, so that's not a big problem for
us.. We're currently working towards a pmount solution, which only
works for removable drives anyway.

  Sjoerd
--
Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.