Iomega USB external hard drive

Javier Ros Ganuza jros at unavarra.es
Wed Apr 6 03:49:08 PDT 2005

I expect this to be the proper place to submit the question.

I have a Iomega external USB hard drive, and I reformated it to have two
partitions ext3 partitions (sda1, sda2, actually sda2 is not formated
0x83 type both).

I'm using Fedora Core 3, and it detects sda1 partition when plugging the
device, adding a fstab entry. The problem is that this fstab entry is
for a vfat filesystem not a ext3 nor automatic.

After digging in the problem, I've concluded that it belongs to HAL, so
here I am.

I suppose that such a simple configuration should be automatically
detected without resorting to providing a customized HAL  configuration
file for this specific device, and thus is a BUG and not intended
behavior.

The version of hal is
> $ rpm -q hal
> hal-0.4.7-1.FC3

I wonder if this problem is fixed in the current version.

I digged a little bit into hal and I've seen that the filesystem type
that hal gives is vfat, and I think that the issue  is not hal giving
explicitly a vfat type, but not giving explicitly ext3 or auto and so it
gets a default of vfat. I suppose fstab error is due to this.

(I have only superficially revieved hal documentation)

Thanks in advance

Javier Ros