Handle rootfs is_mounted properly

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Apr 6 15:03:40 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:58 +0200, Tom Parker wrote:
> I've written a patch to do proper handling of the is_mounted setup in
> hald/linux2/blockdev.c for root filesystems. This is mostly based on a
> patch for parted [0], that I am unable to work out ownership for, but
> should be ok license wise (as Parted is a GNU project using the GPL).
> Should be all ok, but 2nd/3rd/4th/etc opinions are welcomed.

Well, the idea is good enough; here are some points to address

 1. Coding style doesn't fit with the rest of the hal code

 2. Declarations of variables need to be in the beginning of a
    composite expression (after the {) (even though C99 allows
    this, I don't like it)

 3. The usage of realpath() looks like a buffer overflow but the
    man page says something about PATH_MAX so I guess it's ok,
    however see 4.

 4. Suggest to just use stat(2) on /dev/root (it should follow
    symlinks, otherwise use realpath to get to the real /dev
    file) and compare the st_dev result with block.major,
    block.minor on the HalDevice object. Also, use

My rootfs is on LVM2 on the systems here at work, so I can't really test
this myself.

Cheers,
David