VolumeUnmountForced symlink problem

Rohan McGovern rohan.pm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 22:25:14 PDT 2005

Hi all,

With HAL (versions 0.4.7 and 0.5.0), I'm seeing the following behaviour:

If I insert a CD in /dev/hdc, with an fstab entry for /dev/hdc,
'mount /dev/hdc', then eject without unmounting, it is automatically
unmounted and HAL sends VolumeUnmountForced.

If I insert a CD in /dev/hdc, with an fstab entry for /dev/cdrom which is a
symlink to /dev/hdc, 'mount /dev/cdrom', then eject without unmounting,
nothing happens (i.e. the FS stays mounted and the kernel complains 'VFS:
busy inodes on changed media' until I manually 'umount').

(note: I did "echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/lock" in order to be able to eject
without unmounting.)

Surely the behaviour should be consistent for both symlinked and real device
node mounts?