hal 0.5.1 "Sonny...?"

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Thu Apr 28 07:22:22 PDT 2005

> Forgot to mention that the specific goals for 0.5.2 are

[...]
>  - Provide method invocations on hal device objects as requested by the
>    luks/hal/gnome-volume-manager and gnome-power-manager projects
[...]

This is good for the LUKS work.  I do have one question, something that
was discussed a while back on this list.  How, for example, will
gnome-volume-manager provide a passphrase to HAL through this method
invocation interface?  More specifically, what IPC method will be used?  I
remember discussing setting method parameters in an environment variable.
This, however, is not necessarily safe for secrets like passphrases.  Will
a method script be able to read its parameter from stdin?

See also:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2004-December/001486.html.

I just want to make sure that this is considered as the specification
moves from the TODO file into something more formal.

Thanks, David.

--
Mike