select() timeouts on large installations

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 23 10:26:23 PDT 2005

> I agree some kind of asynchronous probing could speed up detection
> in the general case - maybe even several devices in parallel?

In general, a parent device should be able to probe all its children
devices in parallel.

 > (still trying to figure out what takes so much time)

Did you try to run hald with verbose logging on as David suggested. hald
logger includes timestamps with millisecond granularity (I think) -
should give some clues. To reduce the slowdown, redirecting stderr to
ramdisk.

-Artem.