HAL, new things

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:47:20 PDT 2005

Okay, with the release of HAL 0.5.4, HAL can do a whole lot more. These
are the things that I think we *can* do from here, but maybe you'll have
feedback on what we *should* do.

* Video Adaptor support, i.e. a SetLCDBrighness() method on applicable
laptops.

* Device firmware request: i.e. if I insert my spiffy atmel 802.11b
pcmcia card, HAL tells me (dbus signal to notification-daemon?) I need
firmware before the device will work. Similar if I insert my friends
NTFS usb pendrive. Also it would be nice to know if I could look at a
website and get some info about a driver from CVS.

Comments welcome.

Richard.