HAL, new things

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 09:22:32 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 11:32 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hmm.. At least following the #gnome-hackers IRC channel on GimpNet it
> appears we still got some work left with reporting battery status -
> davyd on said channel knows the specifics. So it would be good to fix
> these before introducing new functionality and bugs :-)

Sure, I'll have a talk tonight. I think 0.5.4 should have shaken lots of
bugs out tho.

> Also, we still have doc/TODO and other mundane stuff left.

Pahh. Point taken.

> > Sure, but we can make the backend hacky in HAL and present a nice
> > interface to the user, (that-is until we get a nice sysfs interface for
> > video adaptors, and then we can use that). Even if we get toshiba, asus
> > and ibm working, that's a large percentage.
>
> I don't really care much what the interface is, just that we can do what
> we want with it. There's also the side-effect that if we export a sane
> interface from hal, driver writes will want to customize their
> implementations towards it...

<snip>

>  b. how to implement this

How about just a blacklist? If I plug in my madwifi 802.11g usb dongle,
the vendor/product keys are matched and an event is generated.
Everything else is ignored. I'm sure we can get users to contribute
non-working hardware reports... :-)

> > Not sure, hence opening the discussion. :-) My initial thought was to
> > use notification-daemon, but that is a session DBUS service, whilst HAL
> > is per-system. Not sure if that would work - either way we need a way
> > for HAL to pop-up a box saying
>
> You're mixing matters here which is slightly confusing; you probably
> mean you want some desktop program running in the session (like
> gnome-volume-manager) that reacts to events from HAL and does the right
> thing.

Just starting a discussion, so we can write some code :-)

Richard.