hal-0.4.8 and kde-3.4.2

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 11:39:49 PDT 2005

Compiled all this from source using the distro Lunar-Linux. dbus, hal and kde
startup fine. Insert a cd and the desktop icon name changes to the volume
label of the cd. Click on the icon and konqueror gives an error that only
root can mount /dev/hdc (in this case) on /media/cdrecorder (Sony DRU500A).

The fstab gets updated with;

/dev/hdc	/media/cdrecorder	auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

The permissions of /media/cdrecorder are drwxr-xr-x , roor.root and /dev/hdc
is brw-rw---- with root.cdrom and the user is in the cdrom group.

I have not changed hald.conf and the only sub dir of /etc/hal that contains
any files is device.d. ;

40-hal-hotplug-map.hal points to /usr/libexec/hal-hotpluf-map and
50-fstab-sync.hal points to /usr/sbin/fstab-sync.

/var/log/messages show fstab-sync adding the /media/cdrecorder mount point
for /dev/hdc.

AFAICT the 90defaultpolicy fdi is correct, though I am on a learning curve
here so obvious things may not jump out at me. I've been through a good many
google hits and still cannot figure this out and any pointers are greatly
appreciated.

At this point I would rather not upgrade dbus and hal till I get a handle on
this.

Thanks