HAL 0.5.5, Kernel 2.6.14, SBP2 => fails recognition

Matthias Bläsing matthias.blaesing at rwth-aachen.de
Sun Dec 4 11:36:15 PST 2005

Hey,

I just upgraded my Debian system (partly SID, partly experimental). One
thing, thats _really_ annoying is the fact, that my external firewire
disc (actually its combo, but the usb2 port is only half as fast as the
firewire one) is not correctly recognized by hal.

I think the reason for this is the reported Type of the disc:

# Plugged in via usb2
mblaesing at oberon:~$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ST325082 Model: 3A               Rev: 0811
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

# Plugged in via firewire (ieee1394)
mblaesing at oberon:~$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ST325082 Model: 3A               Rev: 3.03
  Type:   Direct-Access-RBC                ANSI SCSI revision: 04
mblaesing at oberon:~$

I guess the fix might be as easy as adding the RBC Case to the rules for
storage devices. If you need further info/logs just ask, I will provide
them.

I would try it myself, but currently I more consumed with studies and I
really don't no where to start!

Thanks

Matthias

--
Matthias Bläsing (GPG-Schlüsselkennung: A71B4BD5)
ICQ: 84617206   AIM: linuxfun81   MSN: linuxfun at hotmail.com