[patch] pmu patch

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 12:05:08 PST 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:52:46 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>   Attached path enabled hal to read the various sensors and battery
>   information on apple machines.

Wow, nice one Sjoerd!

>   The biggest issue is that you i really need to get all the pmu battery
>   information in one read to ensure sane information (i guess acpi does
>   need this too, but it doesn't right now).

Does it matter if there is a race? Is it likely?

>   Other issues, battery.charge_level.maximum_specified is mandatory (i
>   can't

Set maximum_specified = maximum_real?

or should we just remove maximum_specified, and just have:

battery.charge_level.maximum

>   get that info with pmu) but battery.charge_level.maximum_real is
>   available (which i can get).. battery.charge_level.unit can be set to
>   a physical unit, but isn't it better to agree it's always a certain
>   uni (always mWh for example and let hal do the conversion instead of
>   requiring every app to do it)

I would say we should standardise on mWh, as I've never seen any other
representation of charge for batteries +1

>   There is no key for remaining time, the kernel knows how to calculate
>   this for pmu and apm (dunno about acpi).. Would be usefull to create a
>   key for

Not keen on this idea. Booting this laptop with APM says I have 58 minutes
remaining, whilst booting with ACPI says I have over an hour and a half.
All a bit fishy if you ask me.

>   The code also reads the sensors avaible from the thermal control units
>   modern apple laptops and powermacs have (maybe others too, dunno)..
>   I've placed it in pmu file too, although it isn't really a pmu thing..

Cool, maybe we should merge the power bits first tho... just until it all
settles out a bit.

>   Biggest problem i'm seeing here with there is no key indicated for the
>   value (i'm using system.sensor.value in my code currently). And there
>   is no indication in which units these are. Imho it's best to choose
>   standard units and let hal do the conversion when needed, just so
>   higher leven applications don't have to do this..

+1, although I don't think David will agree... :-)

>   So after all this now for the fun part, a screenshot:
>     http://luon.net/~sjoerd/hal/hal_cpu_temperature.png

Right. From now on all patches MUST have an screen-shot. They rock.

>   The keyboard light sensor and lid button stuff for which i need
>   callouts will hopefully come later this week.

Cheers Sjoerd,

Richard.

--

http://www.hughsie.com/PUBLIC-KEY