HAL-Managers

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Feb 9 12:42:37 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 11:04 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:17 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > But for nice application support we will need something that can present
> > virtual audio devices e.g. network-audio or the alsa-lib created virtual
> > ones too, so that an audio player can present a nice selection list of
> > _all_ available devices and not only the real hardware. Something like a
> > MultimediaManager.
>
> Right, would be nice - definitely outside the scope of this project
> though :-)

Is there any idea how to handle the namespace of such a solution? If we
have let's say a MultimediaManager who gets the physical sound devices
from HAL and keeps configured virtual sound devices from other sources:

o How can applications know where to get that info from?
o Where are these devices/properties expected to live?
o Can HAL redirect requests to capability=="multimedia" to such a
  Manager or do we need some "Meta-HAL" for that?

The only really interesting thing for applications is a complete list of
device objects not only HAL's local ones. But if they are spread around in
some Manager daemon with an own namespace how is this supposed to work?

Thanks,
Kay