[patch] Port to DBUS 0.30

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 17:48:44 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 20:04, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 19:41 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > Ok, ran into a huge problem with the way HAL handles devices.  It will
> > take the UDI and use that as a object path in order to be able to query
> > those device.  Big problem is that object paths can not have any
> > characters besides [a-z][A-Z][0-9]_.
>
> I somehow suspect that '/' is also allowed :-)

Actually / are not allowed in object path names because they are used to
delimit object paths but that is all semantics ;-)

> >   Some of the udi's have - and : in
> > them.  Not sure how we should proceed.
>
> Should be able to fix hald/util.c:hal_compute_udi() to replace
> non-allowed characters with, say, '_'. Can you include this with your
> patch?

I was thinking a better fix would to fix dbus to allow escape sequences
like in URI's. (e.g. %20 = ' ').  But if you are reasonably sure that we
won't have udi clashes when converting illegal characters to '_' I'll do
that.  It is the easy fix.

--
J5