polling vs initial check of a device

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 10:52:14 PST 2005

Alexey Morozov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> A while ago I asked if there's a way to split media_check_enabled into
> two possible setting:
>
> initial device check to let hal properly detect volume's filesystem type
> etc and
>
> periodic polling which allows hal to handle all those card readers which
> don't generate proper hotplug events on card insertion/removal.
>
> This would allow to from one hand remove polling from 'proper' USB flash
> drives, which don't require it.
>
> After looking at the hald code (as of 0.4.7),

You should rather be looking at HEAD (which has just grown a D-BUS 0.30
dependency, sorry).

<snip>

> It seems that the kernel manager of my distro has already fixed the
> ide-cs issue (and now he's in process of publishing his patch :-)),

Note that hal HEAD handles this nicely as we simply ignore hotplug
rem/add from IDE devices. Of course, this is a hack, with that patch we
would not need that.

> so
> it seems that now only ZIPs need special handling. If so maybe it makes
> sense to replace checking storage.media_check_enabled w/ more narrowed
> checks [for ZIPs] (I don't have such devices and can't say if they can
> be automatically recognized). If this will be done then it's possible to
> solve my initial problem (setting proper filesystem type for my flash
> drive which doesn't need to be polled). Also it seems that
> media_check_enabled is actually used for several different logical tasks
> and such a change will clarify its role w/o adding another configuration
> option.

<snip>

I think what we need are two options

  storage.media_detection_enabled  <-- whether we should poll
  storage.check_for_filesystem    <-- whether we should check for fs

For ide-cs we would set the m_d_e=FALSE and c_f_f=TRUE. For x86 legacy
floppies, LS120 drives and IDE zip drives we would have m_d_e=FALSE and
c_f_f=FALSE (since they are just floppy drives in effect).

How about that?

Cheers,
David