polling vs initial check of a device

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 11:35:00 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 12:56 +0600, Alexey Morozov wrote:
>Ouch... Ok ;-)... If I remember correctly, dbus-0.30 has certain API
>changes so end-user apps such as gnome-volume-manager or KDE volume
>manager will break w/ it, right? (Yes, I know that the latter is
>orphaned in favour of new media:/ handler in upcoming KDE release, but
>it nevertheless works for me in KDE-3.3 environment).

They need slight changes since most/all of the breakage is shielded by
these programs since they use libhal and libhal-storage. These libraries
too contain very slight API breakage (mostly renaming s/hal_/libhal_/
but also a few design cleanups as discussed on this list) so it should
be trivial to port. FWIW, for Fedora Core 4 we plan to do these patches
for GNOME 2.10 and KDE 3.4.

<snip>

>> I think what we need are two options
>>
>>  storage.media_detection_enabled  <-- whether we should poll
>>  storage.check_for_filesystem    <-- whether we should check for fs
>>
>> For ide-cs we would set the m_d_e=FALSE and c_f_f=TRUE. For x86 legacy
>> floppies, LS120 drives and IDE zip drives we would have m_d_e=FALSE
>> and c_f_f=FALSE (since they are just floppy drives in effect).
>>
>> How about that?
>
>I don't mind. The main question is who would implement that? ;-). It
>seems that I could do that but if HEAD changed drastically from 0.4.7,
>it may took some time for me to recognize proper places to apply these
>changes.

I'll have a look at it; it shouldn't be too difficult; I think I've got
all the hardware I need to test it.

Cheers,
David