Hal Patch for __u8 types

Alvaro Lopez Ortega alvaro at sun.com
Thu Jul 14 00:49:15 PDT 2005

David Zeuthen wrote:

 >>On linux the AC_CHECK_TYPE in configure.in was always failing
 >>because it didn't #include the file, i updated the check to #include
 >><asm/types.h> because thats what gets included in the various source
 >>files.  A small cleanup as well to make sure it all compiles clean
 >>again.
 >
 > This works for me on Linux but I want to check with that it doesn't
 > break anything on Solaris. Alvaro, can you confirm?

   The asm/types.h header file is Linux specific.

   JP is right, it won't find __u8 either in a Linux or Solaris box, so
   currently it always redefines those kernel types with C types, even
   if the platform supports it.

   As far a I have seen, there are two options:

   - Check for asm/types.h with AC_CHECK_HEADERS. It found, use the
     HAVE_ASM_TYPES_H definition to include the header in each source
     file.

   - Remove the check for __u8 and redefine the Linux kernel types with
     C types always, even if it is a Linux box.

   The second approach is a little bit dirtier at the base, but it will
   keep the source code a little bit cleaner.

--
Greetings, alo.