PowerManager Methods

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 08:55:42 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 16:43 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> How would we specify the interface? This goes above what we can do in a
> FDI file...

Nope, the "specify methods in .fdi file" is designed to do this :-)

> system_power_management.supports_restart (bool)
> system_power_management.supports_shutdown (bool)
>
> for completeness?

And corresponding Restart() and Shutdown() methods? I don't know, we
could, is anyone terribly opposed to this? Of course, both properties
would be TRUE always :-)

> > so e.g. gnome-power-manager knows, a'priori, what is supported. We might
> > want a callout to set these values.
>
> Callout, okay.

Yes, so the callout would, by some tricky way one or the other, check if
e.g. hibernate is available. And then invoke the hal-set-property to set
the system_power_management.supports_hibernate property accordingly.

> > Once we agree on the interface we can talk about how to implement it; if
> > you want to do a wrapper [1] for the various distros out there and put
> > that in hal, fine by me :-)
>
> A wrapper is the best way. It's easier to edit a script than a c
> file/fdi file.

I doon't know. I really want to know if e.g. SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian,
Gentoo etc. guys are interested in having a wrapper script? It means
less patching on their side....

Cheers,
David