PowerManager Methods

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jul 27 07:08:26 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 19:56 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> For SUSE we'd prefer D-BUS signals our powersave daemon could catch (we
> recently introduced D-BUS support for the powersave daemon).  Richard,
> it might be reasonable to have a look at our code base before
> reinventing the wheel. The powersave daemon is desktop environment
> independent.

Just out of curiosity, does your powersave daemon meet the requirements
that I jolted down here?

 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/utopia-list/2005-April/msg00002.html

No one should reinvent the wheel but I think the policy enforcing bits
needs to know a lot about / interact with the desktop bits that happen
to be running. So, having a daemon that enforces policy running at the
system level is wrong I think. What we want to provide with hal is the
mechanism (e.g. methods Suspend, setLowPowerMode) that allow things like
gnome-power- manager to easily and securely enforce policy.

> However, if it is not possible to use D-BUS signals, we would prefer
> configurable command to trigger suspend/stand-by. But we also can live
> with a wraper script.

dbus-send is your friend here.

Cheers,
David