Feature requests for hal battery backend.

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Jul 28 12:04:51 PDT 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 20:41, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:06 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> > Currently, ACPI can give readings in lots of different units (so far,
> > I've only seen mWh and mAh).  If the reading is in mAh then you need to
> > multiply by the voltage of the battery to determine the number of
> > watthours left.

What is the problem? You can calculate all things like battery.remaining_time,
battery.charge_level.percentage or battery.remaining_percentage without to
know the unit, because there is only one kind of unit per battery/machine.

> > Ideally, I'd like HAL to report remaining charge in only one unit ever.
> > Either Joules or mWh are an appropriate choice.

I don't think so. HAL should report this like the hardware provides it. And as
I say above: IMO there is anyway only one unit per battery/machine.

> mWh seems standard.
> > Everything else should
> > be normalised to this.  This definitely falls under the category of
> > 'hardware abstraction' (since an application shouldn't have to be aware
> > of the quirks of certain ACPI implementations).

I don't think so. See above.

Cheers,

Danny