Feature requests for hal battery backend.

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Sat Jul 30 14:04:30 PDT 2005

Le samedi 30 juillet 2005 à 21:09 +0100, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 16:07 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> > > Ryan, could you try this for me please.
> > No.  No ACPI laptop. :/
>
> OOps. sorry, forgot.
>
> But it looks good in theory?
>
> Richard.

Actually, one comment.  I don't really like the label "mwh".  I'd prefer
"normalised".

Reason is: on APM systems, we get "percent" and have no ability to get
mWh.  On PMU systems we get some weird unit that the code doesn't even
know what to call it.

It's not important to know what the unit is.  It's only important to
have a unit that actually represents charge (ie: mWh or "percent" are
both fine -- mAh is not) and to have this unit be used for all batteries
in the system.

For APM systems (which, I believe can only support one battery anyway)
this "normalised" value would just be percent.  For ACPI systems, it
would be mWh.  No software needs to care about what the unit it is.

For APM and PMU it will be extremely easy to add the "normalised" fields
since they'll just be copies of the normal data.  Plus, since it's not
labeled "mwh" you won't be telling a lie :)

Cheers.