HAL 0.5.x & networking

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 8 17:44:10 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 02:15 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> I'm currently preparing a new udev for the next SUSE version. If we
> get it successful running, something like this will appear upstream:
>   http://ehlo.org/~kay/gitweb.cgi?p=linux/hotplug/udev-kay.git;a=summary
>
> It gets rid of all /etc/hotplug.d/, /etc/dev.d/, /sbin/hotplug. It
> manages the complete hotplug event and external notifiers are called
> by fine-grained rules instead of scripts that need to check if they
> are called for the right device.
>
> The old behavior can still be emulated by small binaries provided in
> the extras/run_program/ folder.

Very very nice; are all kernel subsystems ready for this? IIRC there
were one kernel subsystem that bypassed driver core
(call_usermodehelper() on their own).

> Events are read from netlink, /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is set to "",
> after userspace is ready.

Looking much forward to testing this. Remember this message

 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2004-August/000853.html

where it took 55 seconds to hotplug some 15 USB devices. Heh, it looks
like I should buy a couple of seven port hubs for all the USB gizmos
(about 20-30) I've accumulated over the past few years and see how much
things have improved with the new hal+udev combo :-).

I *think* everything should be much faster but benchmarking is always
fun and there are still a few things we can optimize in hal (like
processing events in parallel - should be a simple patch).

Great work, Kay.

Cheers,
David