learning the hal API

Alexander Bierbrauer abierbrauer at gmx.org
Tue Jun 14 14:25:08 PDT 2005

Hey there,

I want to code a small testing app to get used to HAL. As an example I
tried the provided volumd.py from the 0.4.7 release with my
0.4.7-1-ubuntu package.

Sadly I'm getting this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./volumed.py", line 103, in ?
     main()
   File "./volumed.py", line 98, in main
     '/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager')
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus.py", line 87, in
add_signal_receiver
     match_rule = self._get_match_rule(signal_name, interface, service,
path)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus.py", line 120, in
_get_match_rule
     service = bus_object.GetServiceOwner(service)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus.py", line 219, in __call__
     reply_message = self._connection.send_with_reply_and_block(message,
5000)
   File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 562, in
dbus_bindings.Connection.send_with_reply_and_block
dbus_bindings.DBusException: Could not get owner of service
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager': no such service

Well, is there another source (C / C++ code) to learn from or does
anyone know a fix for the above error ??

There seems to be no example code except volumed.py in the source package.

regards, alex

--
Alexander Bierbrauer

eMail: abierbrauer at gmx.org