[patch] add processor and fan support back into HAL.

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Mar 2 13:52:53 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 21:27 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>I've committed this but I changed system.processor to processor.
>
>Oops, sorry. I was being so careful too! Lots of patches - lots of trees
>- no revision system. I'm thinking of tla, what do you guys use?

CVS? I've noticed from your patches that you appear to have a copy your
checked out tree to another location, hal.old, and do the diff between
your working tree and hal.old. Why don't you just use 'cvs diff -up' and
'cvs update' to keep up to date?

>>At some
>>point we want to rework this when cpu hotplugging and such interfaces
>>land in the kernel properly. The interface we expose shouldn't change
>>though.
>
>Sure, would that be exposed in sysfs?

I have no idea but I know from lkml and linux-hotplug mailing lists that
people are working on just that.

>>>I guess the next logical step is to tackle video adaptors and the holy
>>>grail SetLCDBrightness()
>>
>>I actually think we should wait with that - there's some good stuff
>>going on in the kernel community to merge fbdev, drm and fix up a lot of
>>stuff (including exposing cards, heads and monitors in sysfs (with
>>hotplug events for monitor connect/disconnect)) and my guess is that
>>these new drivers will expose this kind of functionality.
>
>I've noticed that too - but I must admit I have no idea of the general
>plan. Anyone got any links?

Look at recent messages to the linux-hotplug mailing list from Jon
Smirl.

David