hald+LUKS, next steps

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Fri Mar 4 12:29:16 PST 2005

Moving forward with the work on adding support for LUKS devices, I hope to
address the following issues in the next few weeks:

1.  Hald's coldplug code should ensure that dm devices are not processed
until all of the backing devices have been processed.  Right now, hald
starts up and notices my dm devices.  However, at this point hald does not
know about IDE or SCSI devices so the processing of the dm devices fails.
Should hald artificially delay processing dm devices until all other block
devices have been processed?

2.  I want to re-add the "arbitrary data list" that existed in hald for a
short time.  I hope to use this to store a filesystem's cipher and other
parameters.

3.  I will probably tear out references to the sesame name and replace
them with LUKS.  The sesame project itself should probably be renamed or
another place should be found for its utilities (cryptsetup? hald
itself?).

4.  I'm waiting for the ability to have a user program provide a
passphrase to hald and ask hald to execute sesame-setup.  Eventually,
gnome-volume-manager should be able to prompt a user for this passphrase.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's comments.  Thanks.

--
Mike