Mounting of FAT16 as msdos or vfat

George Ganoe George.Ganoe at NASA.gov
Mon Mar 14 16:42:08 PST 2005

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 17:13 -0500, George Ganoe wrote:
>
>>I recently installed Fedora Core III on my Pentium IV computer system
>>to replace the Fedora Core I installation that had been there for
>>quite some time.  At first I was pleasantly surprised to note that
>>my compact flash disks were mounting automatically for me.  However,
>>I have stumbled across a problem.  The HAL mounter is mounting my
>>msdos file system compact flash disks as vfat.  I would like those
>>disks to be mounted as msdos file system so that I can insure that
>>no long file names get put on the disk.
>>
>>I have looked through the web site for some tool or instructions on
>>how to manage this, but the information alludes me.  Ideally, I
>>would like to get a dialog box whenever a compact flash with a
>>FAT16 partition on it is plugged into the reader, that would query
>>me as to whether to mount the partition as msdos or vfat.  Any
>>information that could help me get there is very much appreciated.
>>I'm not sure if it is possible to just create a userpolicy
>>directory device information file that would solve my problem,
>>so a good starting place would be to get an answer for that.
>>
>>Assuming that is all that's needed, some pointers to documentation
>>for implementing what I need are appreciated.  Unfortunately, I'm
>>not very familiar with XML, and it seems that the configuration
>>files are written in that, so pointers to tools to work with the
>>XML are also appreciated.
>>

> This has come up a few times before, here's a link
>
>  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2005-March/002261.html

I've tried using the information in that link, and variations of it
to get what I want, but no matter what I try, the system still
insists on mounting my msdos partition as vfat.  When that happens,
it requires that I be very careful with file names, as a mistype
could result in a long file name being written to the partition,
and I need to insure that doesn't happen.  Under the system used
by Fedora Core 1, the partition mounted as msdos, and everything
worked as expected.