Looking for some Python dbus/hal help

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 17 12:04:37 PST 2005

> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 14:39 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > (it's not considered good form to just bounce a message onto other
> > mailing lists; the To: and Reply-To: fields are obviously wrong; I had
> > to modify them)
>
> Whoops sorry. I was trying Evolution's 'Forward as redirect' and it
> wasn't exactly what I thought it would do.  good to know (:

Yeah, they changed that from 'Bounce' to 'Fwd as redirect' sometime ago;
I had trouble finding it when I needed to bounce a mail :-). Oh well.

> Well, my immediate need is to find the kernel.machine and
> kernel.version, and I'm not seeing a method to directly address a given
> name space, I've only find examples of searching for a device through
> either a string find, or FindDeviceByCapability.  This led me to wonder
> if there was a listing of all these 'Find' operators, and I've had no
> luck yet.

You're probably better off just invoking uname from python (or maybe
it's exported in python somewhere) I guess; we've only put kernel.*
properties in hal so we can use it for matching on device information
files (and for hal > 0.5 the kernel.* properties on
the /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer object moved to
system.kernel.* and I still need to update the spec)

Cheers,
David