Hal 0.5.0

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 24 07:54:09 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 07:53 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> David, having one battery shared between two devices isn't great from a
> abstraction perspective! :-) I appreciate this is w-i-p.

You know, it's not like I don't know that :-)

However, there's a certain limit to what we can get out of the hardware.
Similarly, e.g. APM exports both my batteries in my old Dell Inspiron
7500 as a single one. It's just something we need to deal with.

I just asked for the CSR spec to see if we indeed could extract battery
information per device.

> A little point - don't we need:
>
> battery.charge_level.rate = 0 (hardcoded to zero as unknown)
> (Mandatory in HAL spec)

I thought I made that optional, oh, I did, here is the patch I committed
for that:

>              <row>
> (int)</entry>
>                <entry></entry>
> -              <entry>Yes</entry>
> +              <entry>No</entry>

It's optional because we don't necessarily know, and if we don't know we
shouldn't set it to zero, because obviously battery charge is
decreasing/increasing and we shouldn't lie to the user :-)

> battery.charge_level.unit = "CSR"

No, you got it wrong; CSR is just the name of the protocol used to
extract this kind of information.

> (Should be mandatory in HAL spec in my opinion...)

No. And if you look at the CSR protocol you get levels from 0 to 7.

All this just means that programs like g-p-m need to be a bit careful in
what properties to expect. Yes, that's a pain, but that's
programming :-)

David