hal very slow on startup

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 28 10:50:33 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 20:07 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have several users that complain about hal being very slow on
> startup (version 0.4.7 on kernel 2.6.10). In particular they get
> repeated 10-second-timeouts when detecting PCI cards (or waiting for
> other hotplug events):
>
> hal.hotplug[6269]: timout(10000 ms) waiting for /bus/pci/slots
> hald[7365]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 1311. Rebasing to 1311
>
> I have no idea about this, did you ever encounter this?

I've encountered this with some broken drivers that increases the
hotplug sequence number but don't actually emit the hotplug event; my
best advice would be to look at what sequence numbers you get from the
kernel to try to identify where the broken part is.

Another thing you could try would be to delay the startup of hal until
you are sure all your modules are loaded.

Admittedly, hal 0.4.x could be smarter about how it handles this
(especially fixing the message where it says what number to rebase to);
FWIW, we've fixed that in hal 0.5.x since we rely on udevd to do all the
reordering of hotplug events.

If you fix this, I would appreciate if you sent the patch here so I can
put it in our hal 0.4.x branch in CVS.

Good luck,
David