hal very slow on startup

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 28 11:07:36 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 13:50 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 20:07 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > We have several users that complain about hal being very slow on
> > startup (version 0.4.7 on kernel 2.6.10). In particular they get
> > repeated 10-second-timeouts when detecting PCI cards (or waiting for
> > other hotplug events):
> >
> > hal.hotplug[6269]: timout(10000 ms) waiting for /bus/pci/slots
> > hald[7365]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 1311. Rebasing to 1311
> >
> > I have no idea about this, did you ever encounter this?
>
> I've encountered this with some broken drivers that increases the
> hotplug sequence number but don't actually emit the hotplug event; my
> best advice would be to look at what sequence numbers you get from the
> kernel to try to identify where the broken part is.

This was fixed a few days after 2.6.10 was out. Some drivers that filter
hotplug events increase the sequence number but don't send any event.
Martin: Please try 2.6.11 if that helps as for the HAL part there is no
easy fix I can think of. And udevd has the same problem with that
kernel-version.
If ubuntu can't catch up with the 2.6.11 kernel, but that kernel solves
the problem, I think the best solution would be to backport the fix to
your kernel, instead of work around it in udevd and HAL.

> Another thing you could try would be to delay the startup of hal until
> you are sure all your modules are loaded.

There are still problems with some drivers, but that may work better if
there is no real fix for the problem, yes.

Thanks,
Kay