Device information for PDAs

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 18:49:24 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 03:36 +0400, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:
>  1) serial ports are marked as PDA devices. A 'pda' capability is set
> and a 'pda.platform' property, the latter is figured out depending on
> what driver runs the parent USB interface.
>  2) all other information is stored as "pda.palm.*", "pda.pocketpc.*"
> and "pda.whateverelse.*".

OK, that sounds good. I wonder how all this is going to work with the
userspace visor driver on mentioned here on gnome-pilot-list

 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-pilot-list/2005-March/msg00042.html

I mean, if HAL is going to be useful in that scenario, it doesn't really
helps to match on the visor driver if the user space driver is going to
unload it (since hal will remove that device object) - in that case we
rather should match for USB vid and pid and put the 'pda' capability and
properties on the USB interface.

Do you know whether if gnome-pilot is going to drop support for the
visor kernel driver entirely or if it's a build-time option? My initial
thoughts is that it's a pretty bad idea to move this to user space, but
I could be wrong.

> I'll now modify my fdi for Pocket PCs I know of and email it to you. Or
> dare I ask about CVS access?

Mail sitewranglers at lists.freedesktop.org and ask for an account and for
them to add them to the 'hal' group. You may want to include a pointer
to this mail. When you do updates to the .fdi file, please remember to
add an entry to the ChangeLog too.

Cheers,
David