CPU Speed in HAL

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Fri Nov 25 08:50:50 PST 2005

Ross Burton wrote:
> The only time the user *actually* cares about the CPU speed is when
> doing clock-time profiling, in that situation scaling is a nightmare.
> Exclude that case (user turns off powernowd before profiling) and all
> most users really want is longer battery life, which is what powernowd
> gives them.

Not entirely true -- if you get cpufreqd, the default configuration sets
the processor to scale based on CPU usage. So, on batteries, if I'm
using over 50% of my CPU, it will knock it up to full power.

I generally don't mind this, but there are times when I would really
like to overrule it. Sometimes I will take a slightly less smooth DVD
playback to conserve power by setting it to the lowest setting.

--Pat