removable bit not set for portable USB hard disk.

Gilles Schintgen gilles at vonet.lu
Sun Oct 2 02:03:36 PDT 2005

Pierre Ossman wrote:
> * Removable: Media can be removed but device node remains.
> * Hotpluggable: Media cannot be removed without making the device node
> disappear.
Ok, that makes sense (or sort of). Thanks for explaining this.

> It would, but it would be incorrect. Programs that look for devices that
> are what we normally call "removable" should check both 'removable' and
> 'hotpluggable'. If the don't then they're broken.
I can't follow you here. I can plug and unplug the USB hard disk in
question, so it's what could be called "removable". In HAL's terminology
it's hotpluggable, but *not* removable. This is the main problem I'm
having: I want to be able to simply plug it in and mount it. But since
pmount is requires both removable and hotpluggable (as you said it should)
it obviously fails.

Now I'm wondering why my USB stick is marked as removable. Is this a bug?
Of course, if it were a bug, then pmount would be nearly completely useless
since most USB storage media (except CD/DVD drives) aren't "removable".

Gilles