Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

David Eriksson twogood at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 6 10:08:10 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 15:07 -0700, Johnson, Charles F wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm currently looking at seeing what it would take to make the X server
> support hotplug of input and display devices.  (X Server Auto Config I
> call it.)
>
> I was wondering if it makes sense to add a Functional Property to HAL
> which could be used to expose X11 Server properties for the different
> input and display devices supported by the X server ??  I admit that my
> knowledge of HAL is not very deep at this point.  So feel free to tell
> me to go back and RTFM.
>
> A paritial example could be:
>
> x11.type = 'pointer'
> x11.driver = 'mouse'
> x11.protocol='IMPS/2'
> x11.pointer.emulate3buttons='yes'
>
> But is this kind of information what was intended for the Functional
> Property namespaces ??

Just thinking out loud here... (HAL and D-BUS gurus may muzzle me if
needed :-)

Wouldn't something running on the login session D-BUS be more suitable
for X11 server properties? (HAL runs on the one and only system D-BUS.)

Creating a D-BUS session service with a suitable interface for exposing
X11 server properties would probably not be very much work. Python
comes to mind as an implementation language if C/C++ is too much
hassle.

Maybe such a service even could provide methods such as "change
resolution"? (I don't know how that is done today.)

By the way, what program is the expected client of these properies?

--
Regards,
               -\- David Eriksson -/-

        SynCE - http://synce.sourceforge.net