USB key troubles

Vlaaad vlaaad at free.fr
Fri Oct 7 06:47:55 PDT 2005

Le jeudi 06 octobre 2005 à 16:35 -0700, Carlo J. Calica a écrit :

> Vlaaad wrote:
>
> > Hello people !
> >
> > I'm trying to get gnome-volume-manager 1.5.1 working fully for the
> > distro I contribute to (Source Mage). All seems to work except some
> > troubles with USB keys and I think hald is guilty, or at least it is not
> > well configured on my box. I spent hours and hours and I didn't manage
> > to solve it, I so request some help if someone has some extra free
> > time...
> >

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing the same for a distro I contribute to (GoboLinux).  Udev doesn't
> automatically call /etc/dev.d or /etc/hotplug.d.  You need to add some
> rules similar to this:
>
> calica at office ~]cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-hotplugd.rules
> # do not call hotplug.d and dev.d for "drivers" and "module" events
> SUBSYSTEM=="drivers",  OPTIONS="last_rule"
> SUBSYSTEM=="module",   OPTIONS="last_rule"
>
> # compatibility support for the obsolete hotplug.d and dev.d directories
> ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1",  RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_hotplugd"
> RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_devd"
>
> calica at office ~]

Ok, I had the last two rules but not the first two ones. I added them.

> Also, keep in mind udev is now using a netlink socket rather
> than /sbin/hotplug to listen to events.  That means you should remove udev
> from /etc/hotplug.d/default

Good to know, I was not aware of that.

Well thanks a lot for your help, but despite of adding the rules +
cleaning 10-udev.hotplug from /etc/hotplug.d, I see no difference... :-/

Here are some more informations that can be useful :

$ ll /etc/hotplug.d/default/
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   24 2005-10-07 13:42 20-hal.hotplug
-> /usr/libexec/hal.hotplug
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2931 2005-10-07 13:33 default.hotplug

So if I well understood, hal communicate with udev via the execution
of /etc/hotplug.d/default, who is launched
with /sbin/udev_run_hotplugd ?

I have nothing in /etc/dev.d/ except that :

$ ll /etc/dev.d/snd/controlC0/alsa.dev
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 46 2005-09-15
01:19 /etc/dev.d/snd/controlC0/alsa.dev

Am I supposed to have something in there ?

Thanks again for your help.