Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Fri Oct 7 08:09:50 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 10:56 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>  3. A suitable unconfigured X server is configured. The settings (e.g.
>     resolution, color depth, multiple monitors etc.) is read from the
>     users settings (e.g. gconf). After a while the desktop session
>     can connect to the X server through the X protocol
Just a little question: what if I got 2 systems somewhere, both with
different hardware (say, one got 2*19TFT screens and a graphics tablet,
other one a 15" CRT). I got one server, where all /home's are stored,
exported over NFS. When logging in on a machine, /home is mounted from
the server.
Now on both clients, I need a completely different X config. Not only
hardware related: there could even be 2 different distributions running
-> other font paths, etc.
How would this be handled?

Ikke