HAL on Darwin/OSX?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Oct 11 07:09:59 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 00:09 -0600, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was curious if HAL runs on the Darwin/Mac OSX platform?

Should be possible. One explicit goal we had when designing HAL was that
an operating system might only supply a subset of the functionality
specified in the spec. So, initially only you would only export e.g.
physical devices (USB, PCI etc.), then you would add disk drives,
volumes, batteries etc.

>  From what I gather, it doesn't, it appears to be Linux only...

You should be able to build it so it only exports a single hal device
object, namely the root computer device object. AFAIK this works on
Solaris so getting it to run on Darwin should be a walk in the park. Of
course, only exporting the computer is not too useful but it's a good
starting point for hacking on this code.

Cheers,
David