fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi : storage.policy.should_mount

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 15:49:29 PDT 2005

In reference to the file fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi, we
have *by default* to not mount fixed disks.

Talking to people in the community, i.e. new users, they are still
struggling with the mount /dev/sda2 /mnt syntax to mount a simple fixed
disk when they really needn't be!

The code is thus:

<!-- Dont want to mount non-hotpluggable fixed disks since ideraid
     detection isnt complete as hald wrongly detects e.g. partitions
     from some IDE RAID controllers -->
<device>
  <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
    <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
merge key="storage.policy.should_mount" type="bool">false</merge>
    </match>
  </match>
</device>

Is it still valid (and sensible) to not mount fixed disks?

The first thing I do when I reinstall HAL is to edit this file and
change the value to true, so that it gets my FAT32 fixed disk in the
GNOME "Computer".

If the comment is still valid, then can we somehow blacklist the wrong
IDE RAID controllers? Create a tag storage.raid? Seems a shame to have
this disabled by default.

It seems quite a few people have the same issue with HAL. This was also
mentioned at LinuxWorld UK by one new user.

Richard.