G-P-M on the wrong track?!

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Oct 17 04:22:52 PDT 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 10:24, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hal can currently run perfectly without root privileges,

IMO this is not correct. Please take a look at the difference between detected
devices with and without --retain-privileges option (in my case e.g. 60
devices without privileges and 71 with). There are also different
information/keys missing if HAL not run as root daemon.

But this is IMO a personal taste.

> and it should
> stay that way. Every task that requires root privileges belongs into a
> separate program (which might be a daemon, or dbus service) that is
> small, specific, can be audited, and has a clearly defined an minimal
> interface to the user.

General I agree (specially for such big 	subject area as powermanagement), but
there are also some little problems where it maybe make sense to have a HAL
addon to set some propertys for devices to prevent develop a damon only to
set one property.

> So please keep the current design of hal and resist the temptation to
> include active elements into it. You will sacrifice both security and
> flexibility.

see above.

Cheers,

Danny