G-P-M on the wrong track?!

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Mon Oct 17 04:31:44 PDT 2005

On Mon 17. Oct 13:13:21, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Sunday 16 October 2005 12:26, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> > Divide G-P-M in two parts (projects):
> >  part 1: Desktop module which visualize interesting data to the user
> >          including configuration dialogs
> >  part 2: a power management daemon that do the dirty work, provide data
> >          to HAL and receive orders from desktop programs through dbus.
> >
> > This concept has a lot of advantages:
> >  - It won't break with existing power management structures. Migration
> >    is possible in small steps,
> >  - The user can use the Desktop tools with a power manager he likes,
> >  - the new power management daemon will cooperate with all desktops,
> >    not only with Gnome,
> >  - HAL can fulfill its job straight forward. No foreign code anymore.
>
> This is what we do with powersave [1] on SUSE and ALT Linux. There is a
> (desktop and arch (ix86, ix86_64, ia64 and now also ppc) independent) daemon
> which only do powermanagement and which also do powermanagement if there is
> no desktop user logged in. On the other side there are clients (e.g.
> KPowersave/wmpowersave, see e.g. [2]) which communicate with the daemon over
> DBUS to get information, change settings and suspend/standby the machine.

We have exactly the above mentioned implementation. And it is well proven
for about 3 years. And we are trying currently to adapt the powersave
daemon to run on most distributions. The only real thing that's missing is
a gnome client, however, kpowersave should work perfectly within gnome. We
are also willing to integrate new features or change current
implementations if needed. We are open for any suggestions. There is a
list (powersave-devel at forge.novell.com) to post any
questions/suggestions/bugreports you might have.

Thanks,
	Holger

[...]