controlling LCD backlight

Jeroen Zwartepoorte jeroen.zwartepoorte at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 06:29:39 PDT 2005

Hey Richard,

Following up from our discussion on irc:

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop (ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250
Lf). At the moment, when i close the lid or when gnome-screensaver
starts (which i have set to blank), it doesn't turn off the backlight
of the LCD.

There's a tool for this (a hack mostly) at
http://fdd.com/software/radeon/ that supports turning off the
backlight.

Now, shouldn't this exposed through HAL somehow? Problem is that i
don't see my laptop LCD anywhere in HAL. Or is that part of the
X-config-should-be-exposed-through-HAL discussion?

Thanks,

Jeroen