HAL plugin system

Matthias Grimm matthiasgrimm at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 21 12:16:35 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:37:32 +0200
Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 20 October 2005 21:46, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> > Have you ever thought about a driver plugin system? So that the HAL
> > upstream source haven't to be patched on every new driver or driver
> > update? A programmer could write a driver plugin for certain hardware
> > devices and distribute them on his own or contribute it to the HAL main
> > package. But he doesn't need to patch a foreign code.
>
> In fact this exist already with fdi-files and addons/callouts.

I had a look at it and found it rather complicated and confusing. Is
there any documentation available?

Am I right that this is not really a plugin system but more a program
laucher that starts small programs if certain keys have been found?

Will every device driver need a seperate process to run? A seperate
daemon for every device?

What do I need to add a trackpad driver for example?

 Best Regards
   Matthias