Does pmount honor mount_root?

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Mon Oct 24 09:04:05 PDT 2005

Martin,

> Normal users aren't supposed to specify a random directory.

Is my understanding correct that this is not a security issue, but one
of standards compliance (FHS)?

There's a number of reasons why /media might not be a good idea in
multi-user configurations. For instance, users might not want to expose
their mount point name, as it's derived from the label, and the label
name itself might carry sensitive information. Also, as the number of
hosted users grows into hundreds, collecting all mount points in one
directory has obvious disadvantages.

I support the idea of the configuration file or some other way to
override the default behavior. It would also be great to be able to
configure user-centric mount root, such as $HOME/media.

-Artem.