hal doesn't recognize mounting of devices

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Oct 24 15:02:58 PDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 16:54, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 13:25 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > I never seen this or get a bugreport for SUSE, but IMO this is a kernel
> > bug. The kernel should update /proc/mounts before emit the netlink
> > message. How long is the delay between the event and change in
> > /proc/mounts?
> >
> > Btw. We maybe could workaround this with add a short delay befor
> > open /proc/mounts (but IMO the kernel need a fix.)
>
> We could and should do this in the interim. Are the kernel duders aware
> of this issue?

I don't know. But why this never happen on SUSE ? Maybe problems with
preemption or something other? Btw. somebody (with this problem) should post
this on linux-kernel mailinglist and/or at the bugzilla of gentoo (and other
effected distributions).

I take a look at the problem in HAL. I would propose to implement this
behavior: if mount not found in /proc/mounts retry 0.5 or 1.0 second later
again and emit a error/warning message. If fails again, discard event.

I post a patch as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Danny